Basic bread dough:
4 cups (600g) flour, plus extra flour for dusting
1 sachet (10g) instant yeast
1 tsp (5ml) salt
1½ cups (375ml) lukewarm water
3 Tbsp (45ml) olive oil, plus extra for greasing
¼ cup each black and green olives, pitted and sliced
50ml olive oil
- Lightly oil a 30cm x 25cm baking tray and line with baking paper.
- Mix flour, yeast, salt & rosemary together.
- Mix water and oil together.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the liquid while mixing slowly to form a dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Place in a clean bowl, pat with extra olive oil and place in a warm spot to rise until doubled in size (±1Hour).
- Knock back dough.
- Cover base of prepared baking tray with dough and set aside in a warm spot to rest for ±15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 ºC.
- Poke dimples into dough using your fingertips.
- Sprinkle with olives.
- Whisk water and olive oil together and brush over focaccia.
- Bake for ±20-25 minutes.
- Remove from baking tray and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with good olive oil and balsamic vinegar.